2. What's in his new name Joshua? Name at least two major things.
A. Deliverance, leadership, salvation
3. Who gave him the new name?
4. How is his name translated today?
5. His father's name?
6. His tribe?
A. Ephraim, one of the two tribes of Joseph
7. His time period and two major bookend events?
A. Bondage in Egypt to Entering and Taking Possession of Canaan, the Promised Land
8. His first great role, possibly?
A. Helping transport the coffin and body of Joseph to Canaan, for eventual burial at Shechem in land Jacob bought
9. His second great role (hint: it was secret or undercover)?
A. He was chosen by Moses as a spy to go through Canaan and report back what he saw
10. What did God choose J. to do specifically in his major role as leader of the Israelites after Moses?
A. lead Israel into the Promised Land and take the land by force from the Canaanites
11. What was the scene or name of his first, biggest defeat?
12. Who were the Gibeonites?
A. They were a heathen nation in Canaan, one of Israel's enemies to be killed or driven out, but they tricked the Israelites and Joshua into making an alliance with them.
13. What was lacking in Joshua, what did he fail to do, in both cases?
A. He failed to consult the Lord before he acted
14. Did he repeat these mistakes afterwards? Yes or No?
A. No. He learned by his mistakes and did not repeat them again (which ought to be a message in itself to us as Christians, right?)
15. Joshua was relatively young when he lead the Israelites into the Promised Land--T or F?
16. How old was he then?
A. He was forty when he left bondage in Egypt following Moses, spent 40 years in the wilderness, and only then, at 80 years of age did he enter the land of Canaan as leader of the Israelites.
17. Have you read the account of Joshua in Numbers? Do you see now why it is important to read it? What are your reasons or reason why it is important?
18. Who is the Jesus of the Old Testament, not only in name but in his God-chosen role?
19. What is the most immortal thing Joshua said to the people of Israel, after he challenged them to love, serve, and obey God alone?
A. "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!"